Wednesday, May 04, 2011

 Coming Out

So tonight my friend J had some news to share with me. She sat down all serious and I heard her say "I'm dating a Mormon". I was immediately worried for her. I pictured her suddenly quoting the word of Joe Smith and donning magic underwear. I could envision her bringing and passing out Books of Mormon at our next week's dinner. I saw the fabulous chick who I had grown to respect and adore turning into an absolute stranger.

So my reply was "um, what?"

And she repeated... "I'm dating a woman"

The relief was OVERWHELMING!!!!

But you know, this makes me realize the fact that just because I don't care what the sex is of the person she's dating is does not mean that I am not judgmental.

However, I have never known a gay person to try and "convert" me and yet I've never known a Mormon who did not try to. (and trust me, when I lived in Mesa, AZ I knew and worked with PLENTY of Mormon's, including the roommate I lived with who was a former Mormon who left the religion and started doing speaking about how Mormonism is actually a cult and trying to "rescue" current members of the religion)

Does that excuse my concern for my friend's new paramour? Probably not. I've always said that I don't care who you love, just that you love, but I guess I need to rethink that. If I am truly not going to be a judgmental prejudice person then I need to make that not just encompass that which I deem to be acceptable.

I guess if I judge you for being a tea party republican then that's just as bad as you being the dumbass who judges Obama for whatever the hell they're judging him for this week. And even though when I keep typing mormon without a capital letter spellecheck wants to change it to "moron" I shouldn't take it as a sign from God that it's not the religion of His choice.

I'm going to try and work on these prejudices. But I'm not going to lie, I'm really happy for J and her new girlfriend. And even happier that this chick is not LDS.


Posted by Acinom @ 11:43 PM

Read or Post a Comment

That post made me LOL! I would have thought the same things. TOAD. I have a good friend who is dating a born-again and I told him flat-out if he becomes a superchristian I can't be friends with him. So far, so good. I applaud you for wanting not to judge others, but when they are busy judging and trying to change YOU, while you are taking a "live and let live" approach, it's hard.

Posted by Blogger Maria @ 8:52 AM #
 
<< Home