Tuesday, November 23, 2010

 TMI

So what is it about me that makes people want to bear their souls to me? Actually not their souls as much as their bowels...

Today a patient's mother told me not only about her financial woes, but all sorts of details about her health including the fact that ranch dressing goes right through her, particularly if it's from Denny's, which is a shame because that's her favorite, but she has to go to the bathroom before even leaving the place.

Um, thanks for sharing?

Perhaps if she were my actual patient, and I was concerned about her GI tract this might be relevant. But she wasn't, and I wasn't.

I have had tons of patients tell me about their bowels over the years. In a few cases I can understand they thought it might be relevant, but usually it's just extra TMI that I really don't need to know.

Of course I still prefer hearing about people's poo to hearing about their sex life. Yes, I had an old man with prostate cancer share with me how much better life has been for him since he got his pump. Yeah, thanks for sharing.

I usually think my empathetic nature is a blessing, but times like those...it's a curse...

Posted by Acinom @ 4:11 PM