Tuesday, November 09, 2010

 There once was a weekend in Nantucket...

So tonight when I couldn't think of anything to write about so I texted my friend Maria asking for a topic suggestion. She suggested I write about the weekend we met, and she'll do the same on her blog. I'm going to try to remember that weekend, but I have to admit, it is kinda fuzzy :)

So a mutual friend had a family place on Nantucket and was planning a weekend gathering. I was living in Lancaster, PA at the time, and somehow thought the 8ish hour drive was doable. I had a friend from VA driving up to MD to pick up a friend there, then they continued up to me, and the three of us went together. I honestly don't really remember much from the drive except for the last stretch where there was traffic galore! We were cutting it really tight and did not know if we'd actually make the ferry. In fact, we barely did! We made a mad dash across the parking lot in torrential rains and pretty much hopped on the ferry as it was pulling out. Here we are right after getting off the Ferry, still soaked to the bone.

From there on, I don't remember many details. I know my first actual memory of Maria was her being a mixologist (Pictured!) while everyone was just hanging out getting to know the ones they didn't know and reconnecting with the ones they hadn't seen in a while. Maria was singing showtunes during this time, and I have no clue how that started. I thought before this weekend from what I knew of her that I'd like her, but that pretty much solidified my impression of her that she was destined to be a good friend. :)

It is amazing me how little details I remember of this weekend, considering I know it was an amazing time. I remember sitting up in my room with Maria taking when people were wondering what happened to us. I am pretty sure I loaned her my red sweater for our night out at the Chicken Box. I do have some memories of that outing for sure... one of the girls there that weekend was getting married in a few months so we decided to hold an impromptu bachelorette party. A scavenger hunt was on the to-do list, and I helped her get the hardest thing on the list- a guy at the bar's underwear. Yes, we go the boxers from one of the guys in the band that was playing that night. (those are his boxers and she's on stage) I remember lots of booty shaking going on that night. And I remember Maria getting her groove back. :) I'll let her tell that part of the story on her blog if she so desires...

I know that this weekend was the beginning of what I consider one of my most valued friendships. I loved that right away we connected, both with our senses of humor, and also on a deeper "just getting each other" kind of way. Maybe the reason there isn't a moment that sticks out in my mind is because it was just such an easy friendship that it didn't need a moment.

If I'm doing my math right, that was 7 years ago, and it's mind blowing to think of what we've both been through since then. And yet I know that no matter what, she had my back and I hope she knows I've always had hers. Sometimes we would go months without talking, and then we'd go through periods of talking every single day. I realize that my life in general is full of more laughs when we're in the every day mode, so I think that's the way it should usually be :)

So I am sorry that I didn't have better Nantucket stories. But I have more vivid memories of her trip to visit me in Vermont when we were being smart ass American's up in Montreal calling everything "Le ______" and referring to the Dollar Store as the 78 cent store (yes, this was a while ago when our dollar was stronger) and meeting Popeye the Spider Man on Rue Ste Catherine. Or when she came down to visit me in Raleigh and even though we did some fun stuff like the Ren Faire (with photo op with dude in a kilt) and wine tasting (pictured), my best memories of that weekend are sitting on my back porch and talking for hours.

Posted by Acinom @ 8:56 PM

Read or Post a Comment

You made me laugh and cry with this post! And I TOTALLY agree about the every day thing. :)

Posted by Blogger Maria @ 6:59 AM #
 
<< Home