Saturday, November 14, 2009

 I have no life


So it's a Saturday evening and what am I doing? Watching the top songs of the 90's on VH1.

The 90's was such a transitory time for me that this is bringing back some very eclectic memories.

I started the decade still in college in PA. Then I moved to MA, then GA, then back to MA, then AZ. The three most significant relationships of my life all happened during this decade. Almost each of these songs brings me back to a place or a person. It's been a fun ride.

Like right now- number 39 is Good Riddance by Green Day. This song was popular right after the end of my engagement and when I was planning to move cross country. How perfect was that? Although, like most people, I think I associate it more with the finale of Seinfeld. :) Oh and look, they just showed that! :)

Since I haven't done a shuffle in a while, I think I'll do a few memories for the next handful of songs, how's that sound? Although watch, something irrelevant will come up next. Of course it's now a commercial so we'll just have to wait a bit... (well I will, you won't have to watch a commercial before reading on, but feel free to if you want!)

OK moving on! Everybody Dance Now by C&C Music Factory! One summer I was a "camp counselor" for a fine arts camp for high school kids. I put it in quotes because it was a "camp"that took place at IUP and the kids stayed in the dorm, and I pretty much was an RA. I did get suck in the elevator with 11 of my "campers" and that was fun. But the reason that this song reminds me of that time was because each kid had a major and a minor and I went to watch the dance majors one day and this was the song they were doing. There were 2 guys in the class, one's name was Michael Hunt and he never let anyone call him Mike. Think about it...

Next- Wonderwall, Oasis :) Of course the first thing that popped into my head is Charlie Pace busking it in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" :) But originally the song just reminded me of a time when I lived with a woman from my alumnae chapter and her teenage daughter. The girl, Audrey, is one of the people in my life who I love more than any other human in the world. <3

Next- Third Eye Blind- Semi Charmed Kind of Life- Dan, the guy I dated through the late 90's HATED this song. I just think of him and his seething hate for it. I kinda like it, it's sorta catchy. I just learned now though through VH1 that it's a dirty dirty song about crystal meth. Never listened to anything but the chorus so that's news to me. Go figure.

SPICE GIRLS WANNABE! Sorry, I think I just got a little too excited for this :) I was a national officer for my sorority for a while in the 90's and this was popular at the time. When I went to do a chapter visit this was apparently the chapter's song du jour. You know, the one that all the girls would sing and dance in a circle :) I know that if it was popular during my college era we would have also done the same.

No Diggity- Blackstreet- I have no significant memory of this song. It's got a nice groove though :)

Creep by Radiohead- Again, no real memories with this. Perhaps this means I should be done with this little exercise. We'll see what's next...

Tearing Up My Heart by NSYNC, yeah I'm pretty sure I'm done. I only ever paid attention to one boy band and that was O-Town and that's cuz I got sucked into a marathon one Saturday.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!! Ice Ice Baby!! This was IUP era. Trying to learn all the words to this my friend and I played it over and over from Bethlehem to NJ which we thought was not that far, but we were wrong, it was ENDLESS. But we learned all the words :) Definitely a song I can never hear without smiling :)

so now I'm going to get out of here.. Word to you mother...

Posted by Acinom @ 5:46 PM