Tuesday, November 10, 2009

 I <3 Sheetz...usually


For those of you who don't live in a part of the country where Sheetz is, let me tell you about it. From the outside one would think it was simply a gas station/mini mart but OH NO, it is SO MUCH MORE!

Yes, Sheetz has gas, and other minimartesque accouterments but it also the gourmet of convenience stores. This is the type of place you actually want to go for lunch/dinner.

They also tend to have the cleanest bathrooms ever.

The town I went to college in had Sheetz stores on about every other corner, and they really were a college student's wet dream. The "Death Dogs" were 2/$1 and nothing came close to satisfying us on that walk home from the bars at 2am. (well except for their bonus nachos (aka Nachos Buenos))
Every Sheetz memory from 1989-1993 were fantastic ones. And that's before the stores got all fancy like they are now.

After I graduated I would LONG for an MTO (Made to Order Sub- we always pronounced it sounding like we were saying empty oh and nobody had a clue what we meant outside of western PA) At one point when I was living in Atlanta my friend went back to PA for a visit and brought me one back. It didn't travel as well as it could but it was still heaven! Any time I had a chance to go back to that area the first place I hit was Sheetz.
When I moved back to PA in 2003 I was in HEAVEN because by then the stores had come more east. I had a part time job on Monday nights that had me driving past one on the way home and I ALWAYS stopped and got my dinner there.

Imagine my joy when Sheetz finally expanded even more, and is actually as far south as North Carolina now! Unfortunately, none of them are particularly convenient to me, but I guarantee you that whenever I am anywhere near one, I stop!


And Sheetz is also my roadtrip pitstop of choice. Like I mentioned earlier, they usually have spotless bathrooms. And cheap gas.
So today I had to go to Charlotte for an appointment. Before I left Raleigh I stopped at my corner gas station to fill up, forgetting that I was passing multiple Sheetz stores on my drive. When I drove past one that had gas a FULL 20 CENTS CHEAPER than what I paid I was really kicking myself! (partially cuz Sheetz is cheaper, but moreso because Greensboro is cheaper than Raleigh) and promised myself that was where I would stop on my drive back to re-fill. By the time I drove back home, gas at that same location had gone up 3 cents! I WAS EVEN MORE MAD! But even though the Shell station across the street was 5 cents cheaper than teh Sheetz, I still chose Sheetz due to my love and loyalty.

And I had to pee.

But then, I went inside to use the facilities and the bathroom was FILTHY!! The seats were covered in urine, there was toilet paper shreds all over the floor and the trash can was overflowing.


My heart broke just a little bit today.


I think I will not hold this one horrible location against the rest of the stores I love so much though. And on a whim on my way out I bought a power ball ticket, so if that wins, I will actually LOVE the Mebane Sheetz :)


And now after writing this I am TOTALLY craving a death dog, and if it wasn't leftover hurricane-ing out there I'd be off to get one. Maybe tomorrow :)

Posted by Acinom @ 6:04 PM

Read or Post a Comment

It sounds like you went into the men's room by mistake. My sister went to school in PA and she's big on Sheetz too. I like that you can get bacon with anything. :)

Posted by Blogger fergojisan @ 8:38 PM #
 
<< Home