Monday, November 02, 2009

 Breakfast for lunch

So I have been on a huge breakfast kick lately. Blame the sale on pre-cooked, just nuke it for a few seconds Oscar Meyer bacon at Target. I love all things breakfast! Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast, eggs... bring it on!!

Today's lunch consisted of French Toast and Bacon. Back in the day I used to pride myself on making the Best! French! Toast! Ever! (quick aside- recent line in some tv show {Flash Forward I think?} French Toast- toast of love!) But lately I have become lazy. My FT is yummy, don't get me wrong, but no longer the best. How does one make the best? Well I shall give you some of my secrets...(but not all, cuz then I'd have to kill you!)

  • Challah. This stuff is already yummy, so it's a good base to start with. (My first Challah experience was when I was working at the Brick Oven Bake Shop {click link for photo of the sign and the blog of the dude I met working there back in the 80's} and we had this bread slicer and I found this to be the most challenging bread to slice. Occasionally I would try to convince people it was better for them to slice it themselves at home, thicker than our slicer would do. Most people would go for it! hee)
  • Korinje Cinnamon. WAY better than the normal stuff. I buy mine from Pampered Chef. It rawks. (this is the same type of cinnamon they use in Cinnabon's)
  • A wee bit of vanilla extract
Unfortunately I cannot give away the rest of my tricks, but those three will most likely give you really really good french toast.

So when I was making mine today I was using "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter". I usually use real butter, but I prefer the whipped kind. The last time I was out of butter I was at Kmart, and not a grocery store, so I picked this up because it was all they had. And it's not horrible. But I do believe it's not butter. Although it's not like the margarine of my youth. Do y'all remember that stuff? It had it's distinct chemical taste that was NOTHING like butter and yet I LOVED IT! My mom though was a very loyal butter buyer and so I never got to have it. If I went to a sleep over at someone's house who had it I always wanted toast slathered with the stuff for breakfast. I know, I'm a freak. I sometimes wonder if these early gobs of margarine are somewhat responsible for my high cholesterol of today? It's possible. (or it could be the bacon...but I shared that with RSK, so I'm sure it's not that! :) ) ANYWAY, I recommend whipped butter for your best french toast.

So there have it. Now go forth and have breakfast for dinner. :)

Oh and in other news, I was noticing how much crap I have on my kitchen counter. In an effort to force me to clean it up, I am telling you all now that tomorrow I will post a picture of my kitchen counter. Since I wouldn't want to be embarrassed by what it looks like now, that will force me to clear it off :) YAY! (I'm sure you don't really want to see a pic of my counter, but if this is what I need to do to get things done, I'm doing it!) Till then...

Posted by Acinom @ 12:24 PM

Read or Post a Comment

w00t!!1! Thanks for the nod. I did find out a few years ago that challah is supposed to be picked at, kind of like monkey bread, but I've never seen anyone eat it like that. It does make a mean french toast though, second only to brioche. :-P

Posted by Blogger fergojisan @ 1:06 PM #
 
<< Home