Wednesday, May 20, 2009

 I totally get it now

So about 2 months ago my friend gave me the first 3 Twilight books to read. I have resisted a bit because I usually can't get on board with something so trendy. Plus I had some resentments towards them using and thus branding the name "Twilight" because that was a name I used on the interwebs back in the early 90's. I felt like they stole it from me!

Plus I liked vampires back during the whole Lestat era and couldn't really see it getting much better than that. I mean c'mon, a rockstar vampire who the author used Sting as inspiration? Plus Anne Rice has some pretty amazing characters even if her writing is wordy as all get out.

I remember in college we read Queen of the Damned and decided it would make an awesome movie and "casted" it. Needless to say when the movie came out our choices were MUCH better than the ones they went with. In fact, I didn't even bother with the movie. I saw Interview and really couldn't get on board with Tom Cruise so it kinda killed the whole series for me.

I did recently stumble across a new book in the series, it was actually Lestat and the Mayfair Witches together. I thought it kinda sucked, but it was an abridged audio version, so perhaps the real one was better. Dunno. Anyway, I figured I was over Vampires.

And then I ran out of stuff to read. So I turned to the Twilight books I'd held on to for a few months.

And now I get it. I cant explain it, but I get it. I think that there is some kind of spell woven into these books. I have never been as invested in characters as I became in these. It was almost as if I was literally feeling the same emotions Bella was having. I was falling in love with a fictional character. Odd. Last night I stayed up till 5am to read the second one. I am completely captivated.

Oh and since I didn't see the movie or even really pay attention to ads for it I don't really see those actors as these characters. For some reason, as I was reading I realized that I started picturing Adam Lambert as Edward. I know Edward's hair is supposed to have more red in it, but can't you see Adam as a hot vampire? Even though I know he prefers to smooch boys instead of girls, he is perfect for the role of Edward in my mind. So there it is.

And even though I don't really care who wins on Idol tonight, I think they are both equally talented and deserving, a sneaking part of me that has a crush on Edward Cullen wants Adam to win because of that. I know, I'm pathetic. I do think that Kris might win though... We shall see!!

And now I'm going to read a bit before the Idol finale :)

Posted by Acinom @ 5:44 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I fell completely in love with Edward, too. My daughter decided she wanted to be a writer after reading these books. Not great literature, but awesome characters and storytelling.

And, even as someone who doesn't watch Idol, I can see the Lambert-Edward thing!

Posted by Blogger equeyaya @ 7:24 AM #
 

I am completely with you on the whole - "It's too trendy to be a part of..." feeling. There was just no way I was going to get sucked into the hype.

Then I had this trip to Ireland scheduled and I knew I needed something to take me away while I was stuck in a plane for 7 hours and again for another 2 hours. I figured I could probably enjoy Twilight if I was forced.

I think it took two paragraphs. LOL

I have my own vision of Edward and Bella, not the movie version, because like you - I had no interest in it at the time.

I'm refusing to get book four this week because I read the third book in less than 24 hours. I hate reading books that quickly.

Didn't mean to hijack your comment section!

Posted by Blogger Kristin - The Goat @ 9:57 AM #
 

B- glad you get my Glambert thing :) That's awesome about your daughter. Does she have the talent?

K- I LOVE that you understand where I'm coming from too :) I am forcing myself to take my time with this third one both to savor it more, because I don't want it to end. I don't have the fourth one yet either, so that might also slow down the end for me. Maybe. So do you see a famous type person for your Edward or is it just someone in your head? Mine didn't start off as Glambert, it just sorta evolved into him slowly as I was reading. Now it feels right to me :) I think Bella kinda looks like me ;)

And hijack away! Comments make me happy!! :D

Posted by Blogger Acinom @ 6:27 PM #
 

yes she does, and i'm not just saying that because i'm her mom. she's going to susquehanna university next year and majoring in creative writing.

Posted by Blogger equeyaya @ 6:52 AM #
 

I have my own Edward and Bella in my head - although I have to say that I have an old highschool friend that I put in the Bella role every so often - I think it's the description of the hair that makes me think of this particular person.

I'm officially happy that I decided to read these books. :) I swear though, I'm counting down the seconds to the end of this weekend so I can download book 4. LOL Maybe I should wait until you get your hands on your copy - We can virtually read them together :)

Posted by Blogger Kristin - The Goat @ 8:03 PM #
 

I think tomorrow I'm going to pick up the last one thanks to the 40% off Borders coupon, so we can read it together apart!!

I watched the movie today and I have to say that if I saw it first, I never would have read the books. Bleh! Plus Adam Lambert would have made a much better Edward :)

Posted by Blogger Acinom @ 8:58 PM #
 
<< Home