Friday, May 15, 2009

 Friday Shuffle... Multiple Personality Disorder version

So I am in another cycle of insomnia. Kinda sucks. But it could be worse, I could have to get up early tomorrow...

So I decided to write a post, but wasn't really feeling a topic, so since it's technically Friday, I thought I'd go with the old fallback, Friday Shuffle.

I did the shuffling before starting to write because I wanted to see if there as some type of theme that came up that would lead me to a decent topic. The only thing this shows is that I have the most random taste in music, EVER.

One thing surprised me though, TWO (2) songs from the Lost Mix that Barb made me that I have now added to my itunes showed up. Weird, right? And of course 2 Dar Williams songs showed up too, because she likes to be on Friday Shuffles. Also, 2 Frat party dancing songs, 2 Atlanta songs and 2 songs that remind me of concerts I've been to and 2 songs that remind me of jobs I've had...weird so I guess it's the MPD/Noah's Ark version actually :)

Since the lyrics on these songs are so very very random, rather than doing lyric quotes along with each, I'll just do a memory that goes with each song :)

1. And a God Descended - Dar Williams
honestly, no particular memory with this song, just Dar in general makes me think of my friends Amanda and Blakely

2. You All Everybody - Drive Shaft
when I watched the first season of Lost I did it all in one weekend, right before the second season started. That was the best weekend... no commercials, and no waiting for the next episode! I can't believe I have to wait 8 months for it to come back!! NO FAIR!

3. I Need Love - LL Cool J
freshman year at Hofstra, I'd give more details, but I'd rather keep them to myself ;)

4. Wild Wild West - Kool Moe Dee
This song is one of the ultimate beer slop soaked fraternity basement dancing songs.

5. Leavin On Your Mind - Patsy Cline
Another Lost song :) But it actually reminds me more of (going way back here...) yesterday :) I spent most of the day listening to the Lost CD Barb made me then watched the season finale which was pretty damn good...

6. Teen Angst - Cracker
Atlanta. This song was ubiquitous on 99x, the radio station I was devoted to. Saw Cracker 2x in concert too, but not on purpose, once was when they played with the Spin Doctors and Gin Blossoms (aka the Spin, Gin, and Crack tour) and the other time was the WBCN River Rave. They are pretty decent live :)

7. I Can Love You Better - Dixie Chicks
This was a Bath and Body Works song. I was a manager there for several years and we had these tapes we had to play... some months were better than others and got played A LOT. Plus they repeated every few hours so I'd hear the same songs 2-4 times in a shift. It still amazes me that I still love many songs from BBW tapes...

8. Monkey Man - Special Beat
Special Beat opened for Sting one year...It was either the Soul Cages or Ten Sumner's Tales tour, their music makes you want to move.

9. Put Me Down - Cranberries
Atlanta again, but not 99x. I had a great job for a while...I worked for a guy who was an amazing man, but a crappy businessman. The company closed after just a few short months, due to many reasons, but while I was there I had a few CD's I was obsessed with and played constantly, this was on one of them...

10. Better Things - Dar Williams
My favorite Dar song... I cannot be in a bad mood when I hear this song, so I have used it MANY MANY times to bring me up, I can't even begin to choose just one, but many times I blasted this on the way to or from work on a bad day.

and a bonus because it made me smile:
Someday I Suppose - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
This song should remind me of an ex boyfriend because he put it on a mix tape for me, but it actually reminds me of another guy who will always hold a place in my heart for many reaswons... most of which I will not get into here, but one being that he was the stop/stayover on my St Louis leg of my cross country drive :D

Ok since I've been writing this, 2 U2 songs and a second Cracker song have played. What is up with all these pairs? Kinda cool though :) The one that's on now, Get Off This, has lyrics that fit a recent post of mine, so I will leave you with those lyrics:

Let's get off this,
And get on with it,
If you wanna change the world
Shut yer mouth and start to spin it
Get off this
Get on with it
If you wanna change the world
Shut your mouth and start this minute


Posted by Acinom @ 2:00 AM

Read or Post a Comment

OMG, Monica, the other day I had the SAME idea for a blog post - songs that evoke a memory. I wasn't going to do it as a shuffle, though, I'm going to pick certain songs, so I'll probably write it over a period of time and post it when I have enough. So far, I just have Miss You and Black Magic Woman.

So cool that two Lost songs came up for you AND that we share a brain. <3

Posted by Blogger equeyaya @ 7:17 AM #
 

YAY! I don't know if you know this, but many moons ago when Pudge returned from the Philly Movie screening and I asked her how it was she said that she really liked you because she felt like you and I were so similar :)

I have done the memory shuffle a few times... I found a few for you if you care...

http://acinom122.blogspot.com/2006/07/places-and-spaces-friday-shuffle.html (this one even references the roadtrip to the ohio gathering with Pudge!)

http://acinom122.blogspot.com/2006/07/friday-shuffle-on-saturday.html (this one prompted my most oft googled phrase to get to my blog "men wearing panties" go figure...

Posted by Blogger Acinom @ 8:59 AM #
 
<< Home