Saturday, April 04, 2009

 Livin in a box...living in a cardboard box

So recently I mentioned that I reconnected with my old roommate, JT. That day we chatted she gave me what I consider to be once of the best compliments I have ever received, and that has turned into a new concept for me...

She said that she and I could be doing nothing more than sitting in a cardboard box and we would still have a blast together.

So this brought up the idea of "cardboard box friends". How many people do you have in your life that you would classify under this title? I am fortunate enough to have more than a few :)

These are people that I just can laugh my ass off even during the most lame of circumstances. Good, bad, or indifferent, these people make my life fun.

For example... once in college Biff and I were both going through a bit of a seasonal/situational funk and so we decided to run away. For this adventure we chose to rent a car (we'll call him Dave) and on the way back we accidentally locked the keys in Dave at the Blue Mountain rest stop. Oh yeah there was also a picture of Fred Savage on the dashboard. We were trapped at this rest stop for several hours while we waited for a locksmith. And we didn't have any money, bu they took pity on us at the fast food place at the rest stop and gave us their left over breakfast. And we knew the car would be returned late and there would be an even bigger charge. And yet the memory I hold from this experience is of a) being taunted by Kevin Arnold and b) laughing....LOTS of laughing.

That is a true cardboard box friend. (in fact, at this point I think we would have preferred to be in a box than in the situation we were in!)

I am very blessed by a large number of CBB friends and I realize that I am too far away from many of them. I have made a decision that unless something significant changes in my life in the next year that I will be moving to Atlanta in May of 2010. I have multiple cardboard box friends there and my soul already feels lighter and happier about my trapped Raleigh situation having made this decision.

So yay for CBBF! and YAY for plans!

Posted by Acinom @ 12:03 PM

Read or Post a Comment

That's a really cool name. I love it.

I have a few cardboard box friends, now that I think about it. My sisters, thankfully are highest on that list.

I, too, live far away from all of my people (family and friends) - but I've found that the internet really does help a lot but I use all methods of communication - phone, email, facebook, letters, and now Skype.

Posted by Blogger Kristin - The Goat @ 10:27 PM #
 
<< Home