Saturday, February 28, 2009

 Granting Wishes, Touching Lives


Today was another Making Memories Brides Against Breast Cancer wedding dress sale. This is an organization I became involved with 3 or 4 years ago and every time I work at an event I love it even more! What this group does is grant wishes to metastatic breast cancer patients to help them create special memories with their families while they are still here. My friend Ginni was a wish recipient once and this is how I help repay them for giving her that special day.

So it was an AMAZING DAY at the sale today! I left when there were still a few hours left because my feet were KILLING ME and the weather sucked so we had slowed down a great deal. Also we were really well staffed for volunteers so I had no guilt. But before I left we had already raised $12,000 of which 100% will go to grant wishes! YAY! I'll be back tomorrow too, looking forward to hearing the totals!

The best part of today though was making a new friend! The first bride I really worked with was this incredible woman named Regina who was just so great! Instead of feeling like I was working with a stranger, it seemed like I was helping out my best bud! She and I bonded so much talking about TONS of stuff that her mom had to remind us why we were actually there! We ended up finding her the perfect dress, but also swapped emails and vowed to become facebook friends and stay in touch.

Recently I've been talking to my friend Jodi about how people come into our lives at times when we need them there, and I think this friendship might be a true case of that. She's got some stuff going on that I can be there for her through, and she's got some great spirit and a gorgeous soul that is good for my heart. I love it when stuff like that happens!

Sometimes I feel so blessed I don' t know what to do with myself. So many amazing people have either come into or back into my life lately that my cup truly runneth over.

Posted by Acinom @ 6:35 PM