Wednesday, November 12, 2008

 My temporary job today...

So today was my mom's surgery. When we first arrived in the surgical waiting room there was an elderly woman volunteer who gave us the secret number that was associated with our mom, showed us how the airport-like screen tracked her progress and then gave us directions to the cafe in case we wanted to go. Well since we'd been at the hospital since 9 and they didnt take her back till 1 (even though she was scheduled at 11) we were a bit hungry.

So off to the cafe, had some lunch and came back. I was looking at the airport-like tracker and the volunteer woman said that I looked responsible and I was now in charge. She had me sit at her desk, told me when they call with updates to just yell it out to the waiting room. Um...ok.

So for 2 hours until the next volunteer arrived, I was the Surgical Waiting Room secretary. Number 7? Your person is in recovery. Number 35? Your person is being sent up to room blah blah. People asked me for information, and I would find it for them. I now know the recovery room phone number by heart. It was all very odd, but helpful. If I was really just supposed to be sitting there waiting I know I wouldn't have been able to focus on my book and would have just stressed out the whole time.

Anyway, the good news is that everything came out ok, and my mom is happily drugged on pain killers for the night. I am tuckered from waiting and stress and my hard job, and I have to get up pre-dawn to go back to the hospital so I'm signing off for the night. Thanks for any and all good thoughts sent our way.

Posted by Acinom @ 8:10 PM