Friday, June 13, 2008

 Home again!

YAY!

That was the longest I've ever been away from my two kitties and it sucked. I was so anxious to get home that I decided to try and fly standby on an earlier flight so I could get home even earlier. That, and I didn't want to sit around all day if I did not have to.

So upon investigating all the possible flights from ELP to RDU it seemed that the first leaving was at 6am. I had to return the rental car first, so I decided to leave at 415, return the car, and then be at the counter by 5 to try and get that flight. I woke up at 3:33 am. No problem getting the car turned in and then I walked into the airport to find... L O N G L I N E S!

WTF? It's 4:44 am! So I get in said long line and wait for a while till I realize I am in the self serve one, not the ticketing one. I switch lines. This long one is shorter, but moves slower. Rah. Finally I get up there and the nice man will not put me in first class (hey, I had to try!) but did get me a nice window seat in an exit row. YAY! SO I was confirmed to Dallas but would be standing by for the second part.

Arriving in Dallas we landed on the wrong side of the airport and drove all the way around, and I was afraid I wouldn't make the first connection. My sister had already looked at seat availability online and found that the second connection only had middle seats left so I REALLY wanted this one. I boogied from Terminal A to Terminal C and they were almost done boarding, but YAY, they had already saved me a seat- an aisle, which kinda sucks, but is better than a middle, but yes, it was THE LAST ROW of the plane. Ugh. But oh well, I'm still going to be home before I even would have left so I can go with this!

And this was an interesting seat to have actually. (Although I learned there were definitely more interesting ones closer to the front!) The reason it was interesting was because it was right next to the galley and where the flight attendants hung out and gossipped.

So apparently there was a chick giving her seatmate a blow job under a blanket further up in the plane. The Flight Attendant asked her to stop. (I was amused at her comment to the other FA- "It's not like they couldn't have just taken it to the restroom!") The woman said that this was America, and she had every right to do whatever she wanted because she bought her ticket. I only wish I had sat up closer to hear this all going down! (um, no pun intended.... I wrote that before I realized...) It was fun to hear the 3 flight attendants discuss what an idiot this woman is, and how the guy just looked like he'd been shot in the face. (not sure what that meant...)

So back of the plane does have it's attributes- you get the gossip without having to watch the drama live.

So I land in RDU and am waiting for my baggage. And waiting. And waiting. And guess what? You know how I barely made the connection? It didn't. But no big deal, it was coming in on the next flight and they would deliver it to me. And as the baggage customer service woman was apologizing all I kept thinking was "YAY! I don't have to carry that heavy thing up the stairs to my apartment!" Instead, I just told her "it's ok, it happens" and left it to that.

So now I've been home for two days and have not done much more than cuddle with the kitties and watch tv that I had recorded while I was gone. I did do laundry so I guess I've been quasi-productive too. Oh, and I took a bubble bath, since I only had a shower at my hotel this was long overdue. In fact, I think I'm off to do that again now...

Posted by Acinom @ 8:05 PM