Tuesday, April 01, 2008

 Here we go again...


So maybe this month I'll do the NaBlo thing? The theme this month is letters, and I'm not sure what to do with that, but I'm thinking I'll work my way through the alphabet and come up with a topic that matches each letter. So I guess today is "A"




And for A I'm going to go with Ancestors. I've mentioned before that I have worked on my family tree a bit in the last few years. It's been pretty cool actually learning about them. It's been really challenging because I come from a line of Smith's and Miller's. Fortunately they didn't move around too much, so it wasn't as hard as the other line that only lived in this country for a few generations.




My oldest known relative is a dude named George "Hunter" Miller. He is believed to have been born in 1708. Pretty cool, eh?




I have a Smith relative who has a grave marker that shows he fought in the Revolutonary War.




When I was up in the area doing some research last summer I was talking to this guy at the historical society who thinks we might come from the same line of Smiths. The one Smith chick's maiden name was Morris, and her family is supposed to be the original settlers of Morristown, NJ. Unfortunately none of this can be confirmed so I can't completely claim it. Still cool that it's possible :)




Some day my goal is to make it over to Ireland so I can do some deep digging on the other ancestors. I know that my mom's grandmother was born on the boat coming over from Ireland, and I think that's super neat. That's a picture of her too.


So that's some interesting tidbits about my Ancestors. I'd write more, but I bet nobody really cares exccept for people related to me, so I'll end it there for now :)


Stay tuned for B tomorrow! (I'm thinking maybe Bitch?)

Posted by Acinom @ 11:09 PM

Read or Post a Comment

I find that stuff so interesting too. One of my relatives on my mom's side has spent a lot of time researching our family, and has actually traced the line back to a family whose house is now a historical property in Connecticut. If I ever make it up there I'm going! I'd love to see portraits and see if there is any resemblance.

Posted by Blogger Unknown @ 7:57 PM #
 
<< Home