Wednesday, July 04, 2007

 Thinking back...

Today is my friend Dana's birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANA!! Fortunately, she has an easy date to remember. Dana and I became friends back in the third grade when we went to camp together. We would write actual letters to each other after camp ended. She lived far far away in another town. Once we got older and drivers licenses we realized we lived about 15-20 minutes apart. It's amazing how your world expands once you get your own transportation.

So in high school we reformed our friendship. And one thing we always did was spend her birthday together. I remember one year at the fireworks there was this little kid sitting near us who kept saying "I like it daddy, I like it!" in this cute way. This became a phrase we started to use. It pops out of my mouth every now and again to this day.

When we went to college we went to different schools, but I had the opportunity to visit her at hers one year. We had a great weekend and that was the weekend that I met her friend Joe, who later became one of my best friends when he did his PHD at the college near where I was living. There was a summer we spent practically attached at the hip. He "got me" in a way that not many others ever have. It was so easy to be with him. I really think I need his friendship back in my life. He's one of those people who has great insights and can actually share them in a way that's easy to take. I could use some of that again :)

Sadly, through geography and busy lives I havent talked to either of them in WAY too long. I have to say this is one of my biggest faults- letting time slip away from me and losing contact with people I love.

I googled Dana to see if I could hunt her down, and the most recent thing I found on her was a year ago, so I don't know if she's at the same job or not. I havent seen her on yahoo in forever, but I still had her in my buddy list, so I sent her an IM hoping she just stays on there invis like me and that's why I never see her.

I googled Joe and he's pretty easy to find- he's a professor at a university and has written oodles of papers and presented them all over the place. I'm going to email him as soon as I finish this :)

While trying to hunt down Dana's email I looked through a disk I had of way old emails written. Unfortunately, none of hers were on that disk, but it had many from an old boyfriend of mine. I only wish that it had the ones of mine that he was replying to. It is so clear to me now why that relationship ended. I was a needy bitch back then. I would love to tell him that I figured that out. Unfortunately, he's married now, and I bet his wife wouldn't like me calling him and telling him that :) But it's good for me to look back and see how much I've changed and grown.

Now, in between writing this, I'm IMing with another man from my past. Andrew never fails to make me smile. He and I have been friends for over 10 years and that fact blows my mind. When I met him he was a young guy with not much direction and now he's a married father of two. What hasn't changed is the place he holds in my heart :)

Ok Im off to write Joe an email. Plus it's hard to IM and blog...

Posted by Acinom @ 10:22 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Monica:

I love you to death! You're the best, and I always think about the time we spent together! I miss you tons, and I hope we can keep in touch more often...

Thinking of you always, missing you tons and tons!

Andrew

Posted by Blogger Andrew @ 11:02 PM #
 
<< Home