Tuesday, February 06, 2007

 "We apologize for the inconvenience"

So when I got home from work today I noticed the heat kick in as soon as I opened the door. I went into the front room to say hi to Seamus, who was in his window seat. I noticed then that the litterbox needed to be cleaned out, so I did that and then went into my bedroom to change. I flipped on the light and...nothing. I went to back to the bathroom and flipped that light- nothing. I looked at the clock- dark. Somehow, during the litterbox cleanage, the power went out.

I went to call the power company and realized that I had no idea what there number was. Like a dumbass I tried to check online. Yes, laptop has battery- but the modem or wireless router doesnt. So I had to try and find this thing that I think is mostly in museums now- I think it's called a "phonebook". I found one, and it was so old, that the number was wrong. Ok so I had to search for an old bill. I dont really pay attention to my paper bills because I have online billpay. After about 30 minutes, I found one!!

I called and was given an option for automated power outage reporting. I chose that option and they freaked me out a little because they knew my address. I guess caller ID, but this was an automaton I was talking to, not a human! Anyway, it told me that they apologized for the inconvenience and expected power to be restored at four......thirty. (picture that robot voice saying it) The robot then asked if I would like a call with a status update. I pressed one for SURE!

Ok, now I can handle this, it's about an hour from now. But Im starving. And have an electric stove, and microwave so I decided to run back out and grab some Taco Bell. I drive up to the corner, and what do I see, but about 3 Progress Energy trucks, and 4 police cars, lots o' flashing lights and a transformer that was in pieces. Ok, well that explains the power being out. I was impressed that that mess was going to be fixed in just an hour.

Fortunately, TB must have been on a different grid, because I got my dinner, came home, ate, and by now it was 415ish. The phone rang. It was my robot friend, apologizing for the inconvenience. It asked if my power was on yet. I pressed two for no. The apologized again and said it'd update my status as they could. Five minutes later, the phone rang again, yup, robot buddy with an update, and apologizing for the inconvenience. Robot now anticipated me to have my power back on by six for ty five p m.

I guess I cant complain, that's still not too far off. I have a fireplace, blankets and kitties, I have a book light, candles, and a belly full of taco bell, so Im coping well.

At four for ty my lights and heat came back on. YAY!!

At 4:45 my robot friend called to apologize for the inconvenience, and told me the status update- Id have my power back on by eight p m.

It didnt give me the option to press one if I had it back on yet, so I figured maybe it might go back off and on as they worked on it or something like that.

They just called again, apologizing for the inconvenience. Promising that this would be the last status update and would not bother me again, but they really are very sorry for any inconvenience. The new status update is Feb you ai ry Seventh at twelve A M. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So I guess it's ok that Mr. Robot wont be calling anymore, even though my power's been on for 5 hours.

All I have to say, is Progress Energy is a very apologetic company, who is on the ball with fixing stuff, but not so much with knowing that it was fixed.

Im happy though, because House is on now, and I have the power to actually watch it :)

Gnight!!

Posted by Acinom @ 8:36 PM