Thursday, February 15, 2007

 The scoop on the "animal translator" consult

So it was pretty cool!! I don't know if I can remember everything, but Ill do my best. I did sorta get most of it recorded so I can go back to it.

She said that Seamus didn't have any inside pain, just outside. That when he'd have his diarrhea it burned around his bum kinda like a diaper rash thing. That if I could help him with that, he would be happy because he doesn't have any tummy aches at all. (I picked up some baby wipes on the way home today!) He doesn't mind taking the medicine for his heart, it's just kinda something he accepts, and the heart stuff doesn't bother him at all.


She laughed and said "he's funny!" cuz the way he was saying his butt hurt. It's hard to type it, but the way she said it was funny. When I asked why he's so shy at home to strangers but a love bug when I take him out to the vet she said he said it's because they're nice to him, and honestly, he has no choice but to interact. At home he can hide. And he doesn't like clomping feet. (When anyone comes up the stairs to my apartment it does sound just like clomping.)

When I asked why Ringo is sometimes mean to people when he's wonderful to me always, she said it's because he doesn't like strangers touching him. He gets "insulted" that they would invade his personal space. He said its ok if he touches them, but they cant touch him! That's why he'll rub up against someone act all lovey and then smack em when they try and pet him. Punk. But since I'm "mommy" I'm allowed. But he doesn't like when ANYONE touches his belly cuz that's HIS. (That's totally true! that's how I can get scratched up like nobody's business)

She described their favorite places, and apparently Seamus misses our sliding glass doors from Lancaster because it was a great view. They described their "souffle's" that their Gramma made them and that they are the best places to sleep.

When I asked if they had any concerns they wanted to share with me Ringo complained that there's a draft at the windowseat and asked if I could fix that. Seamus would like what I'm not sure if is the baby food that he had a while back when he wasn't eating, or taco bell cheese. She said he was showing her what was like a smooth pureed type food. He loves him some taco bell nacho cheese, so I think it's that, but it might be the ham baby food too. When I asked if there were any OTHER concerns he had (since he's the one I'm more worried about) his only other concern was that he'd like that food tonight please. She said he was being cute but pushy :) She said the draft and more of that food are their only real issues, that they have a happy good life.

She also described their personalities- she said Ringo is cute, and knows it. Perfect! Seamus she said is handsome and has a good sense of humor but is pushy. The sense of humor part Ive never really noted, but the pushy part is totally true. When he wants to cuddle, we will cuddle NOW, whether I want to or not. When he wants to eat, drink, whatever, he makes it known. And he's literally pushy, head butting me till I give him what he wants.

Oh they both said they loved their Gramma, she said they have "warm gushy oatmeal feelings" towards her. Seamus said it's good when Aunt Michelle visits. Ringo said she can stay home. That made me laugh because the two of them have never really clicked. (I guess it's because she insulted him with petting him!)

It was good. Seamus re-confirmed that he has no inside pain at all, it's just that his "opening" burns after he poops and if I could just help him clean that he'd be very happy. (he does have trouble licking his own butt because of his big belly getting in the way) So I'm thinking baby wipes and maybe a little Vaseline and that's a hell of alot safer and cheaper than steroids with plavix!

I feel so much better. I think my gut was telling me that I was being overly worried about the poop issues and that's why I was so hesitant to start the steroids. I guess it's good that I trusted my gut!Im torn between telling our vet that we did this. Im not sure if she'd think it was all hooey and I was nuts or she'd believe in it. I can just as easily tell her Ive decided against the steriods due to the risks. And then say Ive noticed his anus is looking irritated and ask about diaper rash cream... We'll see :)

Oh I forgot one other funny thing- The curtain by their window seat keeps getting pulled down, but Im never home when it happens so I didnt know who was doing it, but I guessed it was Seamus because he's more into that window than Ringo. Well it's Ringo doing it after Seamus asks him to! Brats!

Oh and I asked why Seamus keeps eating string and crap and she said he said "I dont eat poop!" which made me laugh, because I meant crap like dustbunnies or woodchips that fall of the logs that are next to the fireplace and when I explained that, she said he said that if it's interesting looking or smelling, he wants to see what it is. And for strings, he just likes the way it feels in his mouth. Dork.


I have to say, many people might think this its nuts, but I have so much piece fo mind thanks to this, it was totally worth it. And if we werent all crazy we would go insane...

Posted by Acinom @ 7:19 PM