Wednesday, November 22, 2006

 too bad I already did a dumbass award...

Ok For all of those of you strolling through from the randomizer or linking from the NaBloPoMo list, I'm doing a question of the day to answer via leaving a comment.

Question du Jour: What's the stupidest thing youve done in the past month?


This is an easy one for me. Yesterday I had an appointment that I was very early for. I got out of my car with my book and my waterbottle and left my purse with my keys on the front seat and locked the door.


Oh did I mention yesterday was one of the worst days weather-wise since Ive lived in NC?

So I had let my AAA expire, but I was pretty sure I had roadside assistance with my car insurance. Of course the number was in my wallet, locked in the car. SO I look in the phone book, pick an agent that looks like it might be the right address, call and she tells me that I dont exist in her system, sorry. Um hello?? So it seems that she only knows her own clients, there is no big database. I ask if there is an 800 number or something I can call. She says no. I didnt believe her. "Isnt there some type of main number that has all clients info?" "Oh yeah- but it's not 800. It's 877" (insert head banging here)

I call the main non-800 number and they give me the roadside assistance number. I ask them that before I call, I just wanted to confirm that I did, in fact, have this service. They transfer me. The guy who answers seemed nice, I told him my sob story and asked him if he could confirm if I had roadside assistance. He asked for my policy number. (insert more head banging here) I explained AGAIN that my life was locked in my car. Oh ok, what's my name, he can look it up that way.

So he looks me up and then says "we dont have roadside assistance, it is not a service we offer, but you do have towing". (insert me with a concussion thanks to more head banging). Im curious why the first 4 people didnt tell me that they dont offer a service I was asking about, and what if I had called the number for the service they dont have?

So screw it, I call AAA and rejoin and ask for service pronto. They say no problem, it will be an extra $35 stupid person punishment fee. Im ok with that. They then tell me that it will be 2 hours before someone can get there.

Did I ever mention I live in THE STATE CAPITOL OF THE 11TH MOST POPULATED STATE? Wouldnt you think that there would be more than one man who owns a slim jim around these parts?

Ok so fine, I have my appointment (no longer early for it). I then hang in the waiting room for a while. A long while. Then a state trooper pulls up and walks in. Apparently he has an appointment in the same office. I think - YAY ME! So as he's sitting down choosing a magazine I say to him- "Excuse me, but do you think I could bother you to break into my car for me?" The best part is that he doesnt even seem to think this is an odd request. He tells me that he wishes he could, but with locks so complicated now and the potential for doing damage to them that they arent allowed to carry car-breaking-into-tools anymore. I then ask him if he knows any good car thieves I can call. He did laugh at that. (um, I wasnt trying to be funny!) Alas, he said all the good ones he knows are locked up. Oh well.

45 minutes later the AAA guy comes and his truck says he's from a town 30 minutes south of Raleigh (without traffic). I find it hard to believe he's the closest man with carbreaking-into tools in the capitol of the 11th largest state in the nation. I guess it's true. Anyway it took him about 45 seconds to break into my car in the pouring bitter cold rain (yeah, my umbrella was locked in there too)

And then I get home and GET YELLED AT by my cats for being so late. As if it was my choice...

Posted by Acinom @ 8:44 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Stupidest thing? Hmmm...there's so many.

It would have to be letting my son invite the friend I cannot stand to his birthday. Yep, I lived to regret it.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 10:44 AM #
 
<< Home