Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 Stating the Obvious

Ok For all of those of you strolling through from the randomizer or linking from the NaBloPoMo list, I'm doing a question of the day to answer via leaving a comment. If enough people actually do it, it could be fun!

Question du Jour: Do you color your hair? From what to what?

I started going grey back in HS (part of being black Irish) but I didnt start coloring till my mid 20's. I use Colorsilk Brown-Black which is exactly my natural color, minus the grey.

I know I should get over it, but it always bugs me when someone says I have black hair. I know it's brown black because that's what the bottle says. But even before that, it is the darkest possible brown without being black. I dont know why it bugs me. Especially since it's usually done with a complement. Im just an uptight dork I guess.

Part of the problem with almost black hair with serious grey roots is that those roots SHOW! I mean it's the difference between (almost) black and white, so it's disgustingly obvious. Ergo, I need to touch up every few weeks. If I go three weeks then the roots are about an inch long and it makes me look like I am going bald. It's obvious. I know it is. Yet occasionally the random person will point it out to me. Why do you think this is? The thing is, it's usually people I like who dont usually have a tendency to be rude. Yet it seems to be the same as saying "wow, your hair looks like shit, you should do something about it". Thanks.

Someone who has told me this also shared with me recently that I had a lot of hair on my arms. Again, I am aware of this. It's something that I used to be very sensitive about. Back in third grade a boy told me and I cried and my grandmother bought me bleaching cream for it. I know it sounds stupid, but it's something that is actually one of my warmest fuzziest memories of her. She got how traumatic a stupid vain thing like that can be to a 8 year old girl. She didnt just tell me to get over it and accept who I am, she tried to make it better. Over the years I did just get over it and accept who I am, and I dont bother bleaching it, Im just grateful that it's only on my arms and not on the backs of my hands! But the other day when someone pointed it out to me I felt breifly like that 8 year old again.

So why point out the obvious to someone if it's not a positive thing? I just dont get it. Dont tell someone they look tired either- that's another way of saying "wow, you look like shit". So make a point today of saying only good obvious stuff to people. Cuz trust me, they know the bad already. And yeah, Im touching up my roots later tonight...

Posted by Acinom @ 8:48 AM

Read or Post a Comment

I am also perplexed how people will ask the rudest questions imaginable in the name of being "helpful."

Love your "5 Cats Shy" title / tagline!

Question for another day...What's your favorite funny cat story?

Posted by Blogger velocibadgergirl @ 7:25 AM #
 
<< Home