Saturday, November 11, 2006


Ok For all of those of you strolling through from the randomizer or linking from the NaBloPoMo list, I'm doing a question of the day to answer via leaving a comment. If enough people actually do it, it could be fun!

Question du Jour: What are some of your favorite sounds?


For me it's purring kitties, crickets chirping, crackling fires, and rain falling

Today I spent most of my day on my porch that I love so much with a purring kitty. Now I hear crickets chirping. It's too hot to have a fire and too beautiful to have rain, but I think that'll be coming up this week sometime.

The fire and crickets take me back to my youth and girl scout camp. For many years I went to Camp Lou Henry Hoover on beautiful Swartswood Lake in New Jersey. There I learned to sail, took a trip down the Delaware in a canoe for several days (I see that they even still have that program!), learned to get along with people not at all like me, and made some friends that I am still in touch with today. We drank "bug juice" and sang silly songs, and cried our eyes out at the last campfire. I think that the summers I spent at Hoover truly helped me grow to be the person I am now. It's weird to think that, but I know it is true. I remember one year when I was miserable at the beginning of the session because I was having trouble finding a group I fit with. Something clicked and I realized it was because I was being a pain in the ass. I thought I was all that because it was my 3rd or 4th year there and I was being Miss Knowitall. I dont know what made me realize it, but suddenly it clicked. I made an effort to tone that down, and then the other girls started being more friendly and by the end of that session I was crying at the last campfire and was tight with a big group and had a blast. And I learned something about myself that summer... I dont know what's got me thinking about camp and that year in particular. I guess it's those crickets chirping outside. Im sitting here with a goofy smile on my face though, and I think I'm off to google Hoover some and try and find if I can locate any of those old friends...

"Happy Campers are we, having fun beneath the trees, and when we are gone, we'll remember our song- Singing Camp, Camp Hoover, Camp, Camp Hoover, Camp, Camp Hoover CAMP!

Posted by Acinom @ 8:46 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Purring cats (I'm up to 6, does that count as crazy?), the ocean, rain, the silence of a snowy night, my children telling me they love me.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 11:12 PM #
 

Well, besides all the ones you and the other commenters mentioned, I'd have to add:
My husband and sons talking together in the kitchen,
the wind thru pine trees and a gurgling brook.

Posted by Blogger Marty52 @ 11:52 PM #
 

Wind. Mostly rustling through the trees. And...The sound of someone sleeping - not snoring! - contentedly.

Posted by Blogger Kirsten @ 4:31 AM #
 

i love the sound of rain on a morning when you don't have to get out of bed.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 4:31 AM #
 

I like the rain, babies babbling and a fan at night.

Posted by Blogger Nell @ 4:42 AM #
 

A purring kitty (or two or three), the sound of the lake water hitting the shore, the silence of snow, the far off sound of a motor boat, the sound of loons calling, and the sound of howler monkeys.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:41 PM #
 

The day this was posted, I was 6 years old and had newly finished my first year at Camp Hoover. This coming summer will be my 9th and last year as a camper there. I have so many memories in that place, and I'm bound to make many more next summer. I also learned how to sail there, and I've participated in the Middies program twice now- it's officially 5 days long again! It's nice to know that even when campers grow up, they still remember their times there and look back on them so fondly like you did. :)

Posted by Blogger Unknown @ 8:37 PM #
 
<< Home