Sunday, November 19, 2006

 Kitty Weight Watchers

Ok For all of those of you strolling through from the randomizer or linking from the NaBloPoMo list, I'm doing a question of the day to answer via leaving a comment.

Question du Jour: What's your favorite fast food restaurant?

Definitely Taco Bell for both me and my boys

So today was weigh in day for Seamus Patrick O'Kitty. Every Sunday for the last two months or so we've been going to weigh in at the vet's. He's always been a bit of a corpulent kitty, but this past August he hit an all time high of 23 lbs. In September he had some dental work done and afterwards he went from 21.6 lbs to 19.0 lbs in 3 weeks and his vet was worried that was too fast.

Supersized kitties have an increased chance of developing something called Hepatic Lipidosis which can be fatal. So she wanted me to make sure he was eating and wanted us to come for weekly weigh-ins. He lost another pound the next week and she was even more concerned.

So now we're at a weird place. Seamus needs to lose weight. He has a heart condition and getting his weight down would be a good thing to help with that. However, getting it down too fast is bad for his liver. So we've switched to primarily wet food (less carbs) and no more free feeding. He's been playing chase with his brother more and it seems like that exercise has helped too! From Sept 24th to October 1st he lost one pound. Since Oct 1 he's lost .5 oz. Plateau much? This week he lost a whole pound. He's now down to 17.11lbs! Im a little stressed that it was a whole pound in one week, but the fact that he 4 weeks prior he had only lost .3 of an ounce I think it's probably ok.

So if he went to real weight watcher meetings he'd get a nice star tonight and he's 2lbs lighter than the weight he had been holding at for a good 8 years. Im very proud of him :)

Every time we go to the vet we stop at the Taco Bell drive through on the way home because he likes the nacho cheese. Yeah, maybe Im enabling his weight problem a little bit, but he only has a lick or two so I dont think it's that bad :)

Just cross your fingers for us that he doesnt put this pound right back on for next week!!

Posted by Acinom @ 3:43 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Go Seamus O'Kitty!!! :)

Our Shamus is a little bit oversized too, I wonder if its in the name!

Oh and as for fast food, although Taco Bell is a close runner up, I'm going to have to say QUIZNOS!!! Mmmmm mmmm mmm, toasty!

Posted by Blogger Sara and Scott @ 4:34 PM #
 

I love your kitty's name! Too cute.

I hope you can avoid the liver problem. We lost a cat to that (had never even heard of it) and it was pretty awful.

Fast food: McDonald's. I know, it's sick, but the nearest one is an hour away. It's like a treat now.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:34 PM #
 

Congrats to Seamus Kitty and good for you for taking him to his weigh in.

As for fast food, Burger King for the BK Veggie Burger -- yummy!

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 9:22 PM #
 

Yeah Kitten! I've got a Charley and a Maizeycat. Fast food - gotta say Taco Hell - I mean Taco Bell. It's the one fast food joint that I can't run from when the craving for it hits. Everything else I can rationalize to myself WHY I shouldn't stop there.

Posted by Blogger mommyguilt @ 1:19 AM #
 

Wendy's.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:39 AM #
 
<< Home