Wednesday, November 29, 2006

 Ipod ADD with a side of manic depression

Ok For all of those of you strolling through from the randomizer or linking from the NaBloPoMo list, I'm doing a question of the day to answer via leaving a comment.

Question du Jour: What gets you all choked up?


Im a big dork. I get choked up easily, but the things that do it to me the worst are the stupidest- songs, and when people get eliminated on reality shows. (I cant believe I just admitted that to the whole blogosphere!)

So I used to think I was the only one who got all choked up and emotional over music, but after reading
Poppy's blog a while back I learned that I wasnt and that made me feel better.

This morning I was having my usual case of Ipod ADD. I will listen to the first 20-60 seconds of a song then hit next. It's not like I dont like the songs- it's my ipod, clearly they wouldnt be there if I didnt like them. It's just that sometimes I cant find one that fits my mood. None of them can hold my attention for long. Often, Ill play them till the first chorus, or a favorite line or part. The other day "Nothing My Love Can't Fix for you Baby" By Joey Lawrence (Whoa!) came on, and I wanted to hear the rap part. I was quite cranky to realize that it didnt come till right at the end. (another scary confession!) But today I just wanted one that felt right. After about 20 songs in 8 minutes, Better Things by Dar Williams came on. This is one of those songs that is eternally optimistic, and never fails to lift my spirits...

Here's wishing you the bluest sky
And hoping something better comes tomorrow
Hoping all the verses rhyme,
And the very best of choruses too
Follow all the doubt and sadness
I know that better things are on their way.

Here's hoping that the days ahead
Won't be as bitter as the ones behind you
Be an optimist instead, And somehow happiness will find you.
Forget what happened yesterday,
I know that better things are on their way.

It's really good to see you rocking out and having fun,
Living like you've just begun.
Accept your life and what it brings,
I hope tomorrow you find better things.
I know tomorrow you'll find better things.

Here's wishing you the bluest sky
And hoping something better comes tomorrow
Hoping all the verses rhyme,
And the very best of choruses too
Follow all the drudge and sadness
I know that better things are on the way.

I know you've got a lot of good things happening up ahead.
The past is gone, it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things.
I know tomorrow you'll find better things.



And so I stuck with it. And cranked it up. And sang along loudly. (this is the manic part in case you didnt get that) And then all of a sudden I was crying. Sobbing. I think it was just that I couldnt handle all that optimism this early, when Im not really feeling that way. So I cried because that's how I wanted to feel. (Or something like that) I cant explain it really. It just hit me hard.

Fortunately the next song was probably one of the most happily pessimistic ever written- Dear God by XTC. I sang that loudly too and was able to stop choking on my sobs. I felt better after a good upbeat depressed song like that and was able to pull myself together again.

I am aware Im a dork though, so you needn't worry.

Im wondering though if there is a treatment for ipod ADD because I am going to wear out the next button...





Posted by Acinom @ 6:32 AM

Read or Post a Comment

Sometimes I get totally choked up by cheesy musicals. I have to stifle sobs despite the fact that they are so heavy handed. There's something about an entire orchestra playing full out that gets me every time.

Also, I have total ADD with the NaBloPoMo randomizer. Most of the sites have about 3 seconds to gain my love. I even skipped over my own site by accident recently. Time for a new masthead, methinks.

Posted by Blogger Noelle @ 9:15 AM #
 
<< Home