Friday, November 17, 2006

 Does this make me a bitch?

Ok For all of those of you strolling through from the randomizer or linking from the NaBloPoMo list, I'm doing a question of the day to answer via leaving a comment.

Question du Jour: What do you wear to work?

I am very happy to say that I wear scrubs. Ive always wanted a job where you can wear your pj's to work!

So this morning 3 people tried to do something nice for me and it annoyed me each time. The first was just some car who stopped at the crosswalk between the employee parking and the hospital. Because of this injury I walk very slowly. I hate when people stop for me, Id rather they go on and Ill just go on with my own pace. I feel like if they were kind enough to stop for me then I should hustle across the street. And that hurts. But if I walk my normal slow pace, I feel like they are tapping their foot regretting being nice to me.

The second niceness was someone who held the door for me. Same thing- I was nowhere near the door, but they stood there and held the door while I tried to speed up so they werent standing there forever being annoyed with me. Again, I hurt :(

Then someone asks me if I am ok. People do this all of the time as they see me walking slowly and carefully with a bit of a limp. Clearly, I am not ok, but Im not having a heart attack either so how do I answer? I am not ok, that is a fact. But there is nothing any random person in the hall can do to fix me. So I usually just smile and thank them for asking and ignore the actual question. Somemtimes (like today) Ill just say something like "Im happy it's friday, that's for sure!" and that will satisfy. The more annoying ones are the ones who ask me what did. "None of your fucking business" seems a bit harsh for the concern, but it's too long of a story to even bother to tell to a stranger. I might start lying and telling them fun stories like "oh I injured myself climbing Mt Killamanjaro" or "I was a stunt double in an upcoming action flick and my scene went horribly wrong". Right now I just go with "oh it's a long story, but thanks for asking". Bleh.

So does it make me a bitch that people's nice gestures or concern for me just annoys the piss out of me?


Almost forgot! Friday Shuffle!

1. Don't Go Back to Rockville - REM
when i lived in md and worked in sales rockville was one of my territories- i tried to tell my boss i couldnt keep going back there, but he didnt buy it

2. Angel Mine - Cowboy Junkies
this is from the soundtrack of one of my favorite movies, truth about cats and dogs

3. Fear - Sarah McLachlan
i used to work with some guys who were trying to figure out if another coworker was a lesbian or not and used the fact that she went to a sarah concert as proof that she was. go figure, i love sarah and have seen her live and always thought i was straight...

4. Waterhole (Express Bongo) - Marillion
this is another one of those fairly obscure bands that it's a shame more people dont know.

5. New England - Billy Bragg
this song just brings back memories of a st patricks day of yesteryear... not that i remember much!

6. Love Ridden - Fiona Apple
nothing much to say about this song. fiona has a gorgeous voice.

7. The Ocean - Dar Williams
i dont think ive ever had a friday shuffle dar didnt show up on!

8. You Can Sleep While I Drive (live) - Melissa Etheridge with Jewel
"c'mon baby, let's get out of this town, ive got a full tank of gas with the top rolled down..."

9. You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth - Meatloaf
when i was a wee kid and quite naive and underexposed to popular music (my mom listened to ewwcountry) we were over family friends' house and the boy who was about my age had bat out of hell. i was aghast and thought it must be some dirty evil album. who would have guessed years later it would be one of my favorite all time albums!

10. Least Complicated - Indigo Girls
"So I just sit up in the house and resist/And not be seen until I cease to exist/A kind of conscientious objection/A kind of dodging the draft" classic jaded spinster tune. good thing im not jaded, just a spinster- i still love this song though!

Posted by Acinom @ 7:14 AM

Read or Post a Comment

To work: dress clothes. Jeans on Fridays.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 7:31 PM #
 

Whwn I worked in the doctors office I wore white pants an a colored top every day...I quit that job in January after working for the same doc for 16 years...now I wear jeans everyday :-)

Posted by Blogger Her eyes East @ 8:18 PM #
 

Another randomizer checking in. And I wear jeans and nice shirts to work because I work at a residence hall and can be casual. It's a nice step back from working at a loan firm where I had to be constantly dressed up and professional.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 2:00 AM #
 
<< Home