Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 Purple Undies


Her name was Alisha, but she became to be known as Gidget. I confess when I first met her I had a little hostility for the most stupid reason. When I was 15 I wanted to BE Gidget- the character played by Sally Fields. When Alisha was given that name I was jealous and held it against her at first. But as I got to know her a bit better, I forgave her. :)

We were in the same chapter of our sorority. She pledged the semester after me. There were 4 of them, they lived in the same suite in the dorms and all joined up together. I clicked better with 2 of her suitemates than her, but once I got past the gidget thing, I learned to care about her too. I transferred the following semester so I never had an opportunity to get to know her better. I selfishly say that Im happy about that.

That's because her death hit me pretty hard and we werent even that close. I cant imagine how Id be affected if we were tighter. Yesterday was the 5 year anniversary of the date her death. Today was the 5 year anniversary of the day.

Everyone remembers that beautiful Tuesday morning way too well. The day started out as one of the most perfect days weatherwise. Then the world changed.


Alisha worked on the 82nd floor. After the tower was hit she called home to say she was ok. That was the last she was heard from. They never actually found her, just her library card. She was 33 years old.

In honor of her I have worn purple undies the last 2 days (not the same pair!). It was a tradition in the sorority that it was one of the first gifts your big sis bought you. I also wore my pearl earrings- today, our sorority jewel. Yesterday I wore a pair of earrings that Alisha had once admired of mine. It's little stuff, but I'd like to think she would appreciate it.

I couldnt post yesterday about this, I still get teary whenever I think of it. I was in NYC on the one year anniversary by coincidence- I was there for another event and that just happened to be the date. The friends I was with wanted to go down to Ground Zero but I didnt think I could handle it so I went to the church that was right nearby. I think that was even tougher, but one of the most moving experiences Ive ever had. I got there right before they were about to have a special memorial mass for the families of the port authority police lost that day. There were 37 who lost their lives, but the families seemed to number way higher than that. And I was standing there watching their faces as they entered the church. The pure unabashed pain and grief was overwhelming. I just pray that they, and all the other families of loved ones have found some peace somehow.

Posted by Acinom @ 6:29 PM