Monday, July 17, 2006

 Well there goes 12 hours or so of my life that I can never get back

So over the last few weeks my 6 week old laptop's connection has become slower and slower. Yesterday morning, it stopped. My desktop which uses the same modem and router was fine. So I first tried doing the online chat with tech support from Dell. After being disconnected once, and blown off another, I had no choice but to call. The first girl I talked to was barely understandable. She made me do all sorts of stuff and then said to call my ISP. (um, did she not hear when I told her the desktop was fine and that when running a diagnostic test on the laptop it said the wireless called failed?) She says she will call me back in an hour. So fine, I call, just happy to get someone who spoke english with no accent. He was nice and appologetic.

Two hours later she hadnt called back yet, so I called again. This time I got "Max". He was a little bit easier to understand, but still useless. A few hours later he tells me to call the router people, he would call me back in an hour.

I call the router people, and they must have the same hiring pool as Dell. This guy manages now to not only NOT fix my laptop, but to screw up my desktop now too. No internet for me. It's now been almost 2 hours since Max and I hung up, and I am tired and cranky and decide to go to bed.

ONE AM the phone rings, yes, Max. I told him that it was 1 am and I had to be at work at 6. He appologized and said hed call back to day. Guess what- he hasnt. Does that mean I will be getting another 1 am call?

Anyway, I called the ISP support again and they are my friends. The girl fixed my desktop and now I am here again! The laptop is still fuct, but at least Im connected.

And I realize now that I am definitely an internet addict.



Posted by Acinom @ 9:06 PM

Read or Post a Comment

We had Dell computers at CK and I hated calling their tech support. I'm pretty good at understanding accents, but talking to a guy in India, over a lousy connection, while he was eating, was not exactly efficient use of my time. Whenever Dell advertises its "award winning tech support," I either crack up laughing of throw something at the TV, depending on my mood.

Posted by Blogger Maria @ 11:43 AM #
 

Yeah I think the awards they win are ones like "most unintelligible techs", "longest time on hold", "most likely to cause more problems than you had before you called" and of course "most likely to stalk you after but not give you chocolate"!

Posted by Blogger Acinom @ 8:54 PM #
 

John-
Thanks for the post! Ill email you specifics later. But you didnt happen to read http://acinom122.blogspot.com/2006/07/i-think-im-being-stalked-by-dell.html that post, did you? Because your comment didnt mention anything about the chocolate?? ;)

Posted by Blogger Acinom @ 6:10 AM #
 

No, I didn't read that post. I haven't seen anything in the mailbox from you, are you working with another advocate?

John
Dell Customer Advocate

Posted by Blogger Dell Customer Advocate @ 6:03 PM #
 
<< Home