Friday, July 21, 2006

 Places and Spaces Friday Shuffle

So last friday shuffle I wrote about memories associated with music. This week I was realizing how these songs not only bring me back to a moment in time, they are all very associated with a particular place to me. I have heard most of these songs hundreds of times, but for some reason I still immediately go in my memory to one place. Some were significant, some not so much...


1. Standing Still - Jewel
Im driving in my shamrock green Hyundai Accent, on the way to a work appointment from back when I was in business to business outside sales.




2. I Want You To Want Me - Letters to Cleo
Again, in the Hyundai, but this time driving to Ohio for a big gathering. There were four of us in that tiny car with all of our stuff, food, gifts for people and 13 fucking cases of Our Lady of Guadalupe candles that someone asked me to bring. ("I have a small gift for everyone, since I cant go, can you bring them?" Small if you drive a hummer maybe, not so small in an accent with all that other stuff in it...) Poor Bethie had lunchmeat on her feet. :)

3. Sweet Surrender - Sarah McLaughlan

Driving the back way to Natick Mall. Not the Accent this time, but a car named "Sister". She was previously owned by a convent.


4. Declaration - Alarm
Um, 2 weeks in a row- is this trying to tell me something? As I mentioned before, it's short, and only 4 lines long-
"Take this song of freedom
Put it on and arm yourself for the fight
Our hearts must have the courage
to keep on marching on and on"
This song brings me back to my high school bedroom.

5. How - Cranberries
In between two homes I moved back in with my mother for a summer to save up some cash. Before my sister moved back in she had a spare room she called "The Rainbow Room" because that was it's basic decor. That's the room I hung in and that's where this song puts me.

6. Tenderness - General Public
Rutgers Football Field, home of the Scarlet Knights. In high school I was on the color guard- flags. Many of our competitions were on this field. This song and the Hooters "And We Danced" both bring me back to those competitions.

7. Red Rain (Live) - Peter Gabriel
This song puts me in an ex-boyfriend's red Honda. Looking back on that relationship I cant remember why I even liked him that much. It's not that I have any bad feelings towards him, I just cant remember any good ones either. Cept for some of this music...

8. February - Dar Williams
Not reaching too far with this one... This song brings me to that room over there <---. My spare room/office is where I have my desktop computer and where I had all of Dar on a playlist that consistently on for months.



9. Run Run Away - Slade
Although this song came out when I was in HS, and I have a small piece of me in the living room of the house we lived in then watching MTV, a bigger part of me is in room 109 Gordon Hall. Home to two of my favorite people in the whole world. One of who, Stacy/Biff is the one who was part of the Pour Some Sugar On Me recording session previously mentioned. I also attribute the beginning building of our friendship to shared musical tastes and memories. So many things we did together involved soundtracks--literally! I wish so much that I could still play some of those Kmart cassettes we made, but alas, most of them were eaten alive by the tape player. One time we decided to run away but of course before we could, we had to make a soundtrack for our adventure. It was entitled "Yo Slick, blow" (yes this was when BBD were popular). All the songs had a running/fleeing/escaping theme, and this was on it. (surprising that it doesnt put me in Dave, or rental car, but Ice Ice Baby is the song for that car...)

10. Seether - Veruca Salt

Putting together a Sauder tv stand with Biff in our apartment in Atlanta. Also eating pizza at the Mellow Mushroom with her and Corky (the other 109 favorite person resident)

and a bonus cuz it came on and made me laugh...

11. Every Little Step - Bobby Brown
Dancing in a beer slop covered fraternity basement. Why is it that I thought that was such a blast back then? I wonder how much it would take to get me to do that now...

Posted by Acinom @ 6:56 PM

Read or Post a Comment

How in Hadeeze do you put 13 cases of big candles in a car w/4 people? And why did that poor woman have sandwich meat on her feet??

Posted by Blogger ~ T (grits) ~ @ 8:44 PM #
 

I'm not sure exactly how we did it! It was one of the biggest car-packing challenges EVER!

And it was in a small cooler that the only place we could find to stick it in was in front of her- good thing she was short! I couldnt see her behind the pillows and whatnot on her lap and just heard this little voice "I have meat on my feet!" I cant think of that without smiling!!

Posted by Blogger Acinom @ 1:56 AM #
 
<< Home