Wednesday, July 12, 2006

 I was a witness to an accident today...

And the part that was so disturbing was that I dont think the girl could have done anything to prevent it. It makes you realize that no matter how good of a driver you are, it only matters how bad others are. Her life for the next few weeks is going to suck. She's going to be sore as hell from the accident, her car is wrecked so she's going to have to either rely on others or have a rental (I hope insurance covers it) and I bet she's going to be pretty shook up from the whole thing for a while. I hope the other driver has good insurance. And I REALLY hope that he gets blamed completely.

I was in the left turn lane, 3rd car back. It was one of those lights that has a left turn arrow, but then the arrow goes away, not red, you know what I mean? We were at a time when there was no arrow, just green. For some unknown reason the guy 2 cars ahead of me decided to turn anyway, even though there was a car coming! I think I gasped almost as loudly as the crash was. It was like slow motion and I knew that there was no way he'd make it. If she had tried to swerve she would have gone right into oncoming traffic. She ended up Tboning him. His car was pretty bad. Her airbags deployed. She got out of the car and then just sat down and started crying. I felt so bad for her! It would have appeared to be her fault if you didnt see it actually happen but it was TOTALLY his fault! I could see him trying to say that he had the arrow and she ran the light. She was prolly about early 20's and I was so worried about how shook up she was I dont think either of them was hurt badly, thank God.

As soon as it happened I called 911 and lemmetellya, Go RPD! Fastest response time ever! I got out "Im at the corner of Duraleigh and..." and a cop pulled up. (Ok so he was prolly just in the area and lucked on the accident, because there was no way anyone called faster than I had) But it was funny, I interrupted myself and said "nevermind, an officer just pulled up!" I hope that if I ever need one of Raleigh's finest that the response is as quick (and the cop is as cute!)

Anyway, I asked the cop if he needed a witness because I wanted to make sure the girl didnt get screwed. The woman in the car in front of me did the same, and we corroborated each other's detail of the what happened. He took down my numbers so I suppose I could get called to testify or something if it ends up as a lawsuit or something, but most likely Ill never hear about it again I think. But I will happily stand up in court to say what happened. That schmuckass could have killed someone. I hope she gets a big fat settlement for her pain and stress.

Posted by Acinom @ 9:32 PM